Monday, October 30, 2006

People (Dupont Circle)

Since receiving a Minolta as a Christmas gift in 1991 seldom have I gone anywhere without a camera. Reminding me of Central Park and even before my move to Scott Circle in September 1993 Dupont Circle had been the public park, in WDC, that I most often visited. Which dates back to 1975 or 1976 when I began to frequent Mr. P's which was one of the first gay bars on P Street. Which, at the time, but not unlike the history of most gay bars in WDC, I was not always welcomed, as a black male.

And though my former partner and on again - off again house mate who was white was one of the several sanctioned cocaine dealers at Mr. P's for almost a decade it was also during our entire relationship which spanned from February 1982 until his death in August 1995 that, over the years, I'd find myself "less welcomed" at Mr. P's then he.

Which was not only indicative of my experiences at Mr. P's but also true of most relationships and experiences that I have hadand places that I have been, as a black male. Including the manner by which I am treated when I now pass through Dupont Circle.

And, in fact, but as I discuss in my writings, not only am I not now welcolmed in places that I once frequented including Dupont Circle or that I have invested my time, heart and soul but I have less freedoms now than I had 35 years ago.

In the prcoess of photographing Dupont Circle since 1992 I have accumulated a most unique collection of historic photographs which when creatively integrated with my writings regarding my experiences as black male will represent an important documentation of our times as well as shed light on my personal story.

People (Dupont Circle), a natural progression of my ongoing "Dupont Circle, Over the Years" project, will attempt to shed light on the individual stories and, perhaps, collective history of those who frequent and in some cases live in Dupont Circle.

It was actually conceived one year ago when out testing my new Canon Rebel G that I happened upon a group of latino men who, since then, I have have photographed on most occasions when I've come across them in Dupont Circle and whom I have included in my October 2006 Hispanic Heritage Month Project.

And, in my attempt to fall (move) forward, this blog will launch on 1 November 2006. Since, in order to move forward one must know "... from where he has come ...!".

And though my white counter part and have I lived during the same time and in many cases shared the same bed, not ever did they and I have the same experiences. And, in fact, our experiences were just the opposite. As I now feel less welcomed in Dupont Circle than I did 35 years ago which is not unlike the relationships that I have experienced, as a black male.

Though I do not know this man, on a personal level, I have observed and photographed him many times over the past year, in Dupont Circle. And, if truth be known, I feel more comfortable around him then I do with many/most of the people that I have had relationships with, over the years.

Dupont Circle, Over the Years! has not meant to me, a black man, what it has meant to my white counterpart.

No comments: